Chicken & White Sauce Baked Mac n’ Cheese
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp white flour
1 cup milk
pinch of salt
1-2 tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic. crushed
2 chicken breast halves, 1 inch cubed
1/2 bunch spinach, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1 tomato, diced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp chili flakes
1/2 tsp white pepper powder
1/2 tsp black pepper powder
2 cups macaroni, boiled al dente and drained
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried oregano
For the sauce:
- Heat the butter along with the flour in a pot while stirring constantly until the flour starts to turn light golden in color.
- Add milk and a pinch of salt, stir until the milk comes to a boil and then lower the heat. Cook until it thickens slightly.
- Set the sauce aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a heavy bottomed skillet, heat the oil add the garlic and stir for a few seconds before adding the chicken. Stir and cook until the chicken turns golden in color and is cooked through.
- Add the spinach, bell peppers, and onion and cook until the spinach begins to wilt- only 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes along with the chili flakes, white and black pepper. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the boiled macaroni, white sauce, and cheese.
- Sprinkle the top with some dried oregano.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until the top turns a nice golden brown color.
- When removing from the oven let the dish rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.