These little spherical shaped coconut sweets or Laddu’s come with a surprise date filling in the center. I’ve tried making these with both sweetened and unsweetened shredded coconut and I much prefer the taste of the unsweetened coconut with sugar added to it. Already sweetened coconut is a shortcut technique but I find that it almost results in bitter taste that I didn’t like, it comes down to personal preference though.
The ingredients consist of milk powder, coconut, sugar, milk, and dates.
Once all the coconut, sugar and milk are combined you form spheres around a small cluster of dated using your hands.
Date Filled Coconut Laddu's (Sweets)
Servings: 20 laddu
- 1 cup dried milk powder
- 1 cup desiccated coconut unsweetened
- 3/4 cup extra fine sugar or caster sugar
- 4-5 tsp lukewarm milk
- 1 pinch of cardamom powder optional
- 3-4 large dates pits removed and chopped into small pieces
- Mix together all the ingredients (except for the dates form a crumbly mixture that sticks together when squeezed in your fist.
- Take small portions of the mixture (about 1 tbsand make a well in the centre, fill with a pinch of dates and then roll into a circular shape around the dates.
Storage: Store in airtight container in the refrigerator