Doll Face Cookies
½ cup melted butter (1 stick, 4 ounces, ¼ pound)
1 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
½ cup molasses
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp lemon juice
2 and ½ cups flour (no need to sift – pack it down in the cup when you measure it)
½ cup milk 1 cup (approximately)
golden raisins, regular raisins, or currants to decorate
- Melt the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 50 seconds. Set the bowl aside on the counter to cool to room temperature.
- When the butter has cooled, stir in the brown sugar and molasses. Add the baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly. Then mix in the teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Add half of the flour to your bowl and mix it up. Slowly pour in the milk, a little at a time, and mix as you go.
- Add the rest of the flour and stir until it’s thoroughly incorporated.
- Drop the dough by rounded teaspoons onto UNGREASED cookie sheets, 12 cookies to a standard-sized sheet.
- Put three raisins on top of each cookie. Use two for the eyes and one for the mouth.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 375 degrees F. Let the cookies cool on the sheet for 2 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Yield: 4 to 5 dozen, depending on cookie size