Home-made granola is so good! The best part is that you can experiment with flavors and with all the ingredients to create a unique batch every time. This batch is a saltier, crunchy version that I made with a lot of different types of nuts in it.
I have my granola on yogurt sometimes with berries and a sweetener too. It’s a great thing to pack for a desk lunch as well, I just pack the granola separate from the yogurt so that it doesn’t get soggy during the commute to work.
Sweet & Savory Granola
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats don't use quick oats
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups your choice of nuts and seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 cup oil such as olive oil
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp liquid sweetener such as honey or maple syrup
- 3/4 tesp vanilla
- 3/4 cups dried fruits chopped
- Preheat oven and mix dry ingredients: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix the oats and any un-toasted nuts or seeds together in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Mix in the spices: Add salt, cinnamon, and cardamom and stir thoroughly to combine.
- Stir in the liquids: Stir in the oil, sweetener, and vanilla.
- Bake the granola: Turn the granola out onto a parchment-lined half-sheet pan and bake for about 40 minutes, or until the mixture is light brown and toasty.
- Stir the granola: Stir every 15 minutes or so for an even color and to make sure the granola is cooking evenly. (If using coconut, add in the last 15 minutes of baking.)
- Prepare any late-addition ingredients: Roughly chop any dried fruits and roasted nuts being added after baking.
- Stir in late-addition ingredients: Remove from the oven and add the chopped dried fruits and any roasted nuts at this time. Stir to combine.
- Let the granola cool: Let cool before enjoying. The granola will continue cooking just a bit in the cooling process — it will firm up/dry out, so if it seems a little too wet don’t worry.
- Store the granola: Store in an airtight container and it should stay fresh for 7 to 10 days. For longer shelf life, store in the refrigerator.
Recipe from The Kitchn