Summer for me means loads of time outdoors and plenty of food on the grill. This recipe is all vegetarian for those of you looking for something a little lighter to eat. It was inspired by a restaurant that I love to stop at in Banff when I go out to the mountains. I
t’s so simple yet packed full of nutrients and deliciousness. The dish is very filling in spite of the fact that it’s all vegetarian and contains no bread. The asparagus here is completely optional as are any of the other veggies- you can simply substitute in any veggies that you currently have in your refrigerator and still have a mouth watering-ly delicious meal.
Grilled Veggies and Halloumi Salad
- handful of mixed greens
- 1 zucchini cubed
- 1 eggplant cubed
- 1 onion cubed
- 1 red bell pepper cubed
- a few spears of asparagus woody ends removed
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 slices halloumi (1/2 inch slices) I used herbed halloumi
- Marinate the cut vegetables (excluding the asparagus) in 2 tsp Italian seasoning and in 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Heat the grill to medium high heat and put all of the veggies in a grill-safe pan (I used a cast iron skillet on my charcoal grill).
- Cook the vegetables until they're just tender (about 10 minutes)
- Place the asparagus on the grill and cook, turning occasionally until just tender. when pricked with a fork (6-8 minutes)
- Place the slice of halloumi on the grill and cook for 1.5 to 2 minutes on each side until it starts to become lightly golden.
- Serve the grilled veggies over a bed of mixed greens topped with the asparagus and halloumi,.