The flavor of kale is complimented really well by the tartness of the apple along with the sharpness of the cheddar and the wonderful crunch of almonds add another level of texture to this salad. Kale can be tough to digest in large amounts, something that really helps to tenderize the prickly edges is to literally massage the kale with your hands until it gets softer, turns a deeper shade of green, and releases fragrance.
Kale Salad with Apples and Cheddar
- 4 cups kale
- 2 tbsp toasted almonds chopped
- 1 green apple diced
- 1 oz sharp Cheddar cheese diced
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 very small garlic clove puréed
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Parmesan grated
- Wash and tear kale into smaller pieces and massage it until it becomes tender and fragrant.
- Combine the kale, almonds, apple and cheddar in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, salt, garlic and olive oil.
- Add the dressing to the salad, and toss well.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan.
Recipe from NY Times