These pinwheels are super easy to make if you have puff pastry and olive tapenade on hand. I know that I’ve mentioned this before, but puff pastry is super versatile and it’s such a simple way to throw together dozens of varieties of appetizers and sweets. For this recipe you can either make the tapenade at home, or as a shortcut you can always use store-bought tapenade as well. The amount of tapenade in the recipe below leaves plenty leftover to be used elsewhere.
Defrost, roll out, and then cut the puff pastry using a pizza cutter or a knife. I cut my sheets into squares then cut in diagonally towards the center of each square from the corners, leaving a bit of uncut space in the very center.
Olive Tapenade Pinwheels
- 1 packet of puff pastry defrosted
for the tapenade:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 can (8oz) black olives drained
- 1 can (8oz) green olives drained
- 2 tbsp capers
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- Add everything to the food processor. Blend until smooth.
Forming the Wheels
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll out the pastry dough and using a pizza cutter cut into equal squares.
- Cut in from every corner of each square diagonally towards the centre leaving space in the centre and not cutting all the way through (see the image above as a reference).
- Fill each square with 1 tbsp of the olive tapenade.
- Fold in every other corner of the square to get the pinwheel shape.
- bake for 18 minutes or until crisp and lightly golden.
Can be served warm or cold and can also be made ahead of time and kept for up to one week.