I love eggs any which way. The presentation of this dish is really impressive for when you have company. It also makes for a great breakfast meal prep dish that you can scoop out into portions and refrigerate later. Remember that, as with most recipes, this one is very versatile because you can add different veggies to it depending on what you like to eat/have on hand.
Sunny Skillet Breakfast
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place shredded potatoes in a large bowl full of cold water and mix them around before draining them and patting them dry.
- Melt butter with oil in a flat heavy-bottomed skillet (oven proof) over medium heat. Add the cut bell peppers and onions, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in the shredded potatoes, paprika, and 1 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are golden and tender.
- Remove from heat. Make 6 indentations in the potato mixture using the back of a spoon.
- Break 1 egg into each indentation. Sprinkle eggs with salt & pepper.
- Bake at 350° for 12 to 14 minutes or until the eggs are set.
Note: Soaking the shredded potatoes in cold water keeps them from turning gray before cooking. It also rinses off some of the starch. Drain and pat them dry, so they won’t stick to the cast-iron skillet.