I needed some strawberry pie filling for another dessert bar recipe that I will post shortly. Since strawberries are in season, I decided to make my own filling. I got this recipe from Short Stop Blog and the filling turned out to be a nice balance between tangy and sweet.
Strawberry Pie Filling
1 quart (about 2 pounds) fresh strawberries
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 unbaked pie crust
1/2 cup whipping cream, optional
1. Wash strawberries and hull (removing the green tops and core). Chop 1/2 of the berries with into small pieces or process in food processor.
2. Place chopped berries into a sauce pan and begin to cook over medium heat. Mix sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl; add to pan with crushed berries. Add lemon juice and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
3. Cut remaining strawberries into halves and mix with the cooked mixture.
If you want to use this mixture in a pie then:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place pie crust into 9" or 10" pie plate. Flute edges. Prick with fork all over, about 40 times. Place piece of foil inside pie crust, lightly pressing around inside bottom edges of crust. Fill with dried beans. (The beans allow the pie crust to remain its shape.)
2. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and remove beans and foil. Return to oven and bake for 5 minutes until edges are golden brown.
3. Pour strawberry mixture into baked pie shell. Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours, or until pie is set. Serve topped with whipped cream, if desired.
I love to make food and to eat. I've been baking since before I was a teenager and exploring more with cooking for the past decade. This section of the site is dedicated to my experiments in the kitchen.
Search this site:
Everything that I post is for your personal use only. If you want to use anything that I post in any capacity please contact me. Contents of this website are Copyright © Ammara Cokar 2014-2019. All rights reserved.